Easter is just around the corner and presents you with an ideal time to get your boat back in the water and share some quality time with family and friends, but it’s only a short break so to ensure that your boating holiday is hassle-free, it’s best to carry out a few basic checks before you go
Pre-trip Engine start up
- Reconnect your battery terminals ensuring that they are clean.
- Remove and give the distributor cap a wipe clean if your boat has been stored outside.
- Hopefully you stored your boat with minimal fuel in the tank to avoid potential sediment build up which could block the fuel supply. Put some fresh unleaded fuel in the tank and prime accordingly.
- Attach the engine muff and water hose attachment and turn on the water supply.
Start your engine and ensure all is working, there should be no reason why it shouldn’t be.
Check your Safety Equipment
- Ensure that you have all safety equipment on board according to your Certificate of Fitness (COF) rating.
- Ensure that all PDF’s (Personal Flotation Devices/ Life Jackets) are in working order and that are still to the correct sizes for your growing children if applicable. If need be replace with new ones from your local Honda Marine dealer.
- Check that you have your boat’s bung at hand, obviously remembering to refit it before launching. This is a common oversight which can have disastrous and very expensive repercussions.
- Check that your KILL-SWITCH is on board and remember to wear it at all times without fail whenever the boat is underway.
Check your Boat over properly
- Subject to whether your boat has been stored in a garage or outside it might need a good clean.
- Check the condition of all fuel hoses and other visible cabling.
- Make sure you have all the relevant documentation on the boat – Skipper’s licence/ COF.
Check your Boat Trailer
- Check you trailer’s wheel bearings.
- Check your trailer lights when rigged up to your tow vehicle.
- Check your trailer road licence is up to date and clearly displayed.
- Check that your name and cell phone number are clearly marked on your trailer.
- Check that the correct reflective strips are fitted as per the legal requirements.
Now it’s time for the Easter holiday, wishing everyone safe and happy boating. Should you have any queries or need help with any of the above, please contact your local Honda Marine dealer.